Objectives: To study methods of writing and research,
To develop our talents as writers,
To promote interest in writing, and
To encourage our fellow writers at all times
PLEASE NOTE! OUR ANNUAL CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.
SUBMISSIONS WERE TO BE POSTMARKED ON OR BEFORE NOVEMBER 30, 2022. Thank you to all who sent in entries! Awards will be announced at our Annual Workshop in March 2023.
This project is supported in part by a grant from the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council and HeARTS for the ARTS.
ABILENE WRITERS GUILD ANNUAL CONTEST 2022 RULES & CATEGORIES
General information: website: abilenewritersguild.org
1. Open to any person 15 or older.
2. Entries must be postmarked between Oct. 1, 2022, and Nov. 30, 2022!
3. Categories with fewer than 5 entries are not eligible for prizes but may be critiqued if judges agree.
4. Categories, descriptions, maximum lengths, entry fees: page 2. Do NOT count title in your word count.
5. All entries must be your original work, unpublished as of October 1, 2022. Publication on the internet IS publication. The work must not have earned a cash award in any PREVIOUS AWG Annual Contest. However, Honorable Mentions from past annual contests may be re-entered and any AWG monthly members-only contest entry is eligible IF it fits the category. Use font type 12: Times New Roman preferred. Type on one side of the page.
6. Separate Cover Sheets for each entry. Upper left corner: your name, complete address, phone number and email address. Upper right corner: category and number of words or lines. Space down to the middle of page and enter your title on the cover sheet.
7. First page, Poetry/Flash Fiction entries, categories 1-4: Upper right corner: category and number of lines or words. Do not count your title in the word count. Double space down, center your title, double space down again and begin manuscript. Single space. NO author’s name on this page.
8. First page, Prose Categories 5-9: Double space all pages with one-inch margins. Upper right corner: type category and number of words. Do not count your title in the word count. Double space down, center your title; double space down again and begin manuscript. On all following pages: type entry title and page number in upper right corner. NO author’s name on this or following pages.
Mail Entries Only: Staple your cover sheet to your entry. Attach payment with a paper clip to your entry. For multiple entries, be sure your check covers all entries and fill out the registration form or facsimile thereof. If you want your entry/entries returned, please provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope with adequate postage; otherwise, your entry will be discarded on or after May 31, 2023. (Needs one stamp per 5 pages in a #10 letter-size envelope.) Our judges, professionals in their fields, are asked to critique each entry, but we cannot guarantee same.
REMINDER: As in the majority of writing contests, entries not meeting the guidelines will be disqualified and fees will not be refunded. Please follow the rules carefully. Decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced at our Annual Awards Workshop to be held in March 2023 and will be published on our Website by April 15, 2023. Prizes will be mailed to winners who cannot attend the Workshop. Please check our website and/or Newsletter for location, date, time and other details of the March 2023 Workshop. Entries will be available for pickup immediately following the Workshop.
You may also bring entries to AWG’s October and November meetings if you are in the area.
Prizes: Categories 1,2,3,4 Categories 5,6,7,8,9
First Place: $70 $100
Second Place: 45 65
Third Place 25 35 ____________________________________________________________________
ABILENE WRITERS GUILD 2022 CONTEST ENTRY FORM
MAIL TO: AWG, c/o 862 Grand Ave, Abilene, TX 79605 Email questions: AWGWrite@gmail.com
Your email address:______________________________________________________
Printed Name: __________________________________________Phone:_____________________
Street Address: _______________________________City: _______________St:______
Make check or money order payable to: Abilene Writers Guild
# of entries in Categories 1-4 ________ X $7 each = $____________________
# of entries in Categories 5-9 ________ X $10 each = $____________________
Your Check Number____________________ TOTAL $____________________
CATEGORIES MAXIMUM WORDS/LINES ENTRY FEE
1. Poetry, Rhymed, any style 50 lines $7
2. Poetry, Uhrhymed, any style 50 lines 7
*Flash categories, 3 and 4, require use of the five prompt words:
*3. Flash Poetry: starlight, flood, amusement, flower, power 100 words 7
*4. Flash Fiction: practical, audition, caretaker, thunderstorm, headstrong 100 words 7
5. Children’s stories preschool or elementary-age readers 750 words $10
6. Inspiration any form: prose, drama, religious 1200 words 10
7. Memoir/Nostalgia take reader back to a former time 1200 words 10
8. Fiction for Adults short story for teens and older 1200 words 10
9. Science Fiction short story for teens and older 1200 words 10
You may enter as many times as you wish in one or multiple categories!