ABILENE WRITER’S GUILD ANNUAL CONTEST 2021-2022
General Information: AbileneWritersGuild.org
1. Open to any person age 15 or older.
2. Entries must be postmarked between Oct. 1 and Nov. 30, 2021!
3. Categories with fewer than 5 entries are not eligible for prizes but may be critiqued if judges agree.
4. Do not count the title in your word count.
5. All entries must be your original work, unpublished as of October 1, 2021. Publication on the Internet is publication. The work must not have earned a cash award in any previous AWG ANNUAL Contest. However, Honorable Mentions from past annual contests may be re-entered and any AWG monthly members-only-contest entry is eligible if it fits the category. Use font size 12; Times New Roman preferred. Type on one side of page.
6. Each entry must have a separate cover sheet . Upper left corner: your name, complete address, phone number and email address. Upper right corner: category and number of words or lines. Space down to middle of page and center your title on the cover sheet.
First page, Poetry and Flash Fiction entries, categories 1-4: Upper right corner: category and number of lines or words. Double space down and Center the TITLE of your entry; double space down again and begin. Single space only! DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON ANY PAGE OTHER THAN THE COVER SHEET!
First page, Prose Categories 5-8: DOUBLE-SPACE these, with one-inch margins. Upper right corner: type category and number of words. Do not count your title in the number of words. Double space down, center your title, double-space down again and begin manuscript. Double-space the manuscript. On all following pages: type entry title and page number in upper right corner. Author’s name goes ONLY on the cover sheet.
Mail Entries Only: Staple your cover sheet to your entry. Attach payment with a paper clip to your entry. For multiple entries, be sure your check covers all entries and fill in the registration form or facsimile thereof. If you want your entry/entries returned, please provide a SASE with adequate postage, otherwise your entry will be discarded on or after May 31, 2022. (Hint: 1 stamp per 5 pages in a #10 letter-size envelope.) Our judges, professionals in their fields, are asked to critique each entry, but we cannot guarantee same.
Reminder: As in the majority of writing contests, entries not meeting the guidelines will be disqualified and fees will not be refunded. Please follow the rules carefully. Decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced at our Annual Awards Workshop to be held in March 2022, and will be published on our Website by April 15, 2022. Prizes will be mailed to winners who cannot attend the Workshop. Please check our website and/or newsletter for location, date, time and other details of the March 2022 Workshop. Entries will be available for pickup immediately following the Workshop.
You may also bring entries to AWG’s October and November meetings if you are in the area.
Prizes: Categories 1,2,3,4, Categories 5,6,7,8
First Place $ 70 $100
Second Place $ 45 $65
Third Place $ 25 $35
____________________copy this entry form______________________
ABILENE WRITERS GUILD 2021-2022 CONTEST ENTRY FORM
MAIL TO: S. Ellison, 862 Grand Ave, Abilene, TX 79605
Email questions to: AWGWrite@gmail.com
Your email address:__________________________
Street Address:________________ City_____________ State___ Zip________
Make check or money order payable to: Abilene Writers Guild
# of entries in Categories 1-4, = ______ X $7.00 each ------------- $____________
# of entries in Categories 5-8 = ______ X $10.00 each ------------$____________
Grand Total $____________
Categories, Fees, Maximum: # Words/Lines Entry Fee
1. Poetry, Rhymed any style 50 lines $7
2. Poetry, Unrhymed any style 50 lines $7
The five prompt words must be used in Categories 3 and 4:*
*3. Flash Poetry:
starlight, search, heart, obsequious, texture 100 words $7
*4. Flash Fiction:
conglomerate, kerfuffle, stable, totality, crapulous 100 words $7
5. Children’s Stories:
Preschool OR elementary age readers 750 words $10
6. Inspiration, any form: prose/drama/religious 1200 words $10
7. Memoir/Nostalgia, take reader back to a former time 1200 words $10
8. Fiction for Adults, short story for adults/teens & older 1200 words $10
You may enter as many times as you wish in one or multiple categories!
Objectives: To study methods of writing and research,
To develop our talents as writers,
To promote interest in writing, and
To encourage our fellow writers at all times